Glacier National Park

Glacier National Park
Singing Grizzlies

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Huckleberry Tuesday - By Richard Tanner


The morning started well with a visit to the Grouse Mountain Lodge gift shop where I found a cool poster and a gift for my wife Gail.  The food was great at breakfast. One of the great things about biking is the feeling that you can get away with eating like a pig.  However, our server at breakfast was very clear that anything different from the menu would be an “upcharge” - this was a hint of coming attractions.  Upon checkout we chatted up Kim who was very friendly, so we asked her all about Huckleberries.  They are not Blueberries (much better) and a bit tarter.  They are also very hard to pick because they are low to the ground and it’s hot and buggy when in season.  We found out why there aren’t Huckleberries in Ohio as well.  According to Kim, the bushes are spread by bears that eat the berries and deposit the seeds in their scat.  That’s polite for bear poop.  After that things went downhill with Kim.  The bill had a series of confusing entries that appeared to double charge golf and room charges, and  although we were polite throughout, it appeared that Kim was upset and that’s all there was to it.  She was great on huckleberry info but not math. 

Before getting started on our ride, we found a store that sold huckleberry stuff of all kinds.  Peter had his heart set on a pie so he cashed in a portion of his IRA and bought us a pie.  We found out later that the pie cost $26 dollars.  We continued our deep research on huckleberry lore and Curt learned that calling a huckleberry a blueberry might get you a black eye.  Montana folk really love their local berries.

Once we arrived at Apgar Village by van, we got ready for our ride for the day - which was to go about 25 miles starting at Lake McDonald and ending at a high point lookout called The Loop.  The air was cool and I had to use my bright yellow green windbreaker at first.  The first 15 miles were breathtakingly beautiful with the road following the lake.  Since most drivers were going slow and taking in the scenery like us, we had little trouble going up. I stopped a few times along with way to take pictures, soak up Gods glory and share a few moments with Charlie.

 Lunch was at about the 15 mile spot and that’s where we broke out the Huckleberry pie.  Curt felt inclined to cut manly pieces and we all felt obliged to be manly.  While the pie was good going in it was rough going up.  What I mean by this is that the last 10 miles were a 6% steady grade up with no breaks and it was hot.  Peter led the way and I kept a close second.  The pie was working against me so my lesson is don’t eat huckleberry pie and do vigorous exercise right afterwards.  In fact, any idiot should know that but now I really know it.

Once we reached the top of the pass, we took a few minutes to look around and marvel at the engineering involved in building this amazing road.  You will hear more about this road later.  Even though I was pretty tired, I wanted to coast back down but our schedule was tight so we took the van back which was just fine.     

Later, as we were checked into the Apgar Village Lodge, we saw the most awesome view I have ever seen.  Our rooms had a perfect view over Lake McDonald which rivals the beauty of Lake Lucerne in Switzerland, which my family can appreciate from a trip we took years ago.  God makes great stuff!!!!!!!!!  At the lodge, Charlie and I spent some time taking in the view over a beer and a cigar (I had the beer and cigar while Charlie drank his 257th glass of iced tea). While sitting on the porch we met a couple from Chicago, Brian and Kim. Before long Charlie knew their entire family history and their favorite food (Indian).  Our other next door lodge neighbors were two recently retired Wisconsin couples traveling across the Northern US by van and having a great time.  There are a lot of Cheeseheads here.  Oh did I mention, both Charlie and I are Cheeseheads (a very positive characterization of people from Wisconsin).

Later that evening Charlie and I went out for dinner at Eddies (the only place available) and we both had elk and buffalo burgers.  Very tasty.  Charlie got to know our waitress by asking lots of great probing questions, a talent he clearly has along with a love and curiosity about people.  Finally, I had to complete my research by consuming a gigantic huckleberry milkshake.  Real huckleberries, ice cream and loads of whipping cream.  What was I thinking?  I took a bullet for Peter who was craving a milkshake all day but couldn’t get it done.

While this blog writing was likely a lot longer than required, it was fun and I am very grateful for the opportunity to be on this trip with these men.  I would love to share this amazing place someday with my entire family. 

1 comment:

  1. I mistakenly posted this to Charley's post and since then, I've had a chance to read the others tonight. Love the bear picture and that you are all meals on wheels. Anyway, great posts all! Very amusing descriptions. Richard, I feel like I am there looking through your eyes at all that beauty (especially the look-alike Lake Lucerne) and tasting the huckleberries. I'm really enjoying the stories of the locals, too, that you and Charlie wrote about. Have a great ride tomorrow! Get some rest!

    P.S. Please bring home some huckleberry jam. I am curious as to what bear poop tastes like. :-)

    Love, Gaily-Anne

    ReplyDelete